The Deoderant Debate.

After I studied ecotoxicology as part of my University degree, my eyes were opened to the importance of paying attention to what you put on your skin. We are subjected to so many synthetic compounds that, long-term, may prove detrimental to our health. However, advertising and celebrity endorsements can easily convince us that they are the perfect solution.

One thing that I took a real interest in during my time studying that module was breast cancer and why cases are dramatically on the rise. In some cases the women have led a very unhealthy lifestyle, in others the ladies concerned have been fit as a fiddle, so there is definitely an element of bad luck involved I should imagine; but taking preventative measures can surely only be a good thing? Provided of course that you're not living off of spring greens and living in a Clean Room and thus avoiding living your life!

I'm sure most of you have heard of the relatively recent (within last few years) trend to swap from traditional antiperspirant deoderants to natural deoderants. Anti-perspirants, as the name suggests, stop your underarms from sweating, whereas deoderants simply stop the stench by preventing bacterial growth. It is not sweat itself that smells, but the bacteria that live on the skin and break down that sweat into acids (info here). The reason that this links in with my earlier breast cancer ramble is that it is believed by some that the build up of toxins around the breast tissue after long-term use of anti-perspirants can increase the risk of breast cancer (Darbre, 2003, Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry). I mean think about it, sweating is one of the ways your body gets rid of the crap in your system. Telling your underarms, 'uh uh honey, no sweating allowed here' can't be good for them! There is also believed to be an effect caused by the oestrogenic properties of aluminium.

I tried a natural roll-on deoderant a couple years ago (can't remember the name of the brand!). It smelled quite nice, but unfortunately left me smelling, ahem, not at my freshest a couple hours later. It made me lose faith in natural deoderants and so I went back to Dove. However about a month ago I decided to give it another try and that's when the PitRok Crystal Natural Deoderant Stick entered my life. I found that the cheapest place to purchase it was off Amazon for about £4.50.


This deoderant:
  • does not block pores
  • is free from Aluminium Chlorohydrate & Aluminium Zirconium, parabens, SLS, fragrance and silicone
  • is not tested on animals
It MUST BE applied to freshly washed skin, and either itself or your underarms must be damp. So, after I hop out the shower, I dry off my body with the exception of my underarms, swipe this baby across a couple times and am good to go for the day. I can vouch that even after a heavy zumba dance workout I do not stink!

Yes, compared to your bog standard deoderant, this is more costly. But consider the long-term benefits and I think you'll agree that the price is worth it. But hey, that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts, ideas, loving :)?